The international Forum "Creative Mobilities" identifies and questions the new uses and the possible associations between two fields of public activity: mobility and culture. The reinvention and appropriation of public space by a plurality of actors; the access to culture and its diversity for all; the role of active citizenship; the valuation of the daily commuting time (transforming movement into "experience(s)"/ "living" through mobility); the promotion of new sustainable ways of living in different locations, in particular to fight against climate change and poor air quality, and including the design of intervention strategies beyond immediate actions – all these will be at the heart of the exchange.
On the occasion of France-Colombia 2017, the urban territory of Medellín will be the special guest of the event in recognition of its remarkable experience in developing public policies which integrate culture and mobilities.
This Forum will gather representatives of French and foreign local authorities: urban planners and developers; those involved in transport and haulage; people running cultural facilities, artists and creatives specialising in interventions in public space and in the fight against climate change. There will be a particular focus on this latter group both as a source of inspiration and innovation within communities, companies, etc., and in playing a critical role in questioning the conception and assessment of public policies.
The program brings together the crossover of national and international agendas particularly with regard to the action of local authorities, organisations or the inhabitants in their locations. The Forum will address various frameworks including the law of Energy Transition, the new Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development, the Habitat III programme of the United Nations; the continuation of works under Cop21 and preparations for the Cop23, as well as World Health Organization alerts on ambient air pollution.
Through the prism of actual and potential synergies between culture(s) and mobility(ies), the main axes of the Forum will focus on:
● Communication: arts, culture, mobility(ies), tools to raise awareness, communication and loyalty ;
● Cooperation: behaviour change, measures to encourage change ;
● Creation and innovation: "artists and creatives in a company" / "New spaces of creation and distribution: mobilities actors as cultural programmers" ;
● Inclusion: well-being, creativity, diversity: (re)enchanting the urban experience and public space.
● Breathing: public health, contamination, struggle against the disparities of a globalized world.
This Forum is organised by "Territoires Associés" (Culture et Développement)** and Terra 21, in collaboration with the Combined Union of Grenoble’s Urban District Public Transportation.
It will take place on September 29th, 2017 in Grenoble, coinciding with the 7th series of Sustainable mobility Days (28 - September 30th, 2017).
Scientific committee ( alphabetical order)
- Maryvonne ARNAUD, (Artist) Le laboratoire, Grenoble
- Bertrand CABEDOCHE, (President) Orbicom world Network of the UNESCO chairs
- Benedicte CURCURU, (DGA Development and Attractiveness) Grenoble Alpes Métropole
- Mission Big equipments and Metropolitan Interest (tbc)
- Patrick DEGEORGES, (Philosopher) Coordinator of the Portal for the Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable development and of Energy.
- Luc GWIAZDZINSKI, (Teacher) Joseph-Fourier University, Grenoble
- Sonia LAVADINHO, (Sociologist and urban anthropologist) Director of BFluid agency, Geneva
- Carolina MARTINEZ TABARES, (Doctor in psychology) Laboratory of Behavior and Mobilities Psychology
- Yann MONGABURU, (President) Mixed Syndicate of the Grenoble Urban district Public Transportation (SMTC) Jordi Pascual, (Coordinator) Agenda21 of the Culture (CGLU)
- Murielle PEZET-KUHN, (Director of studies Environment and Planning) Agency of Urban planning of the Region of Grenoble (AURG)
- Tommaso VITALE, ("Associate Professor" of sociology, Sciences Po Paris) Scientific director of the Master's degree Governing the Large Metropolis
- Representative members of the co-organisers and the technical and financial partners
Different formats will be proposed to the candidates for the present call:
- 1 - 15-minute panels by session of 3 or 4 contributions (platforms of multithematic dialogues).
- 2 - Initiatives "mappings” of 7 minutes by contribution. These interventions open in two steps of 1 hour (among which 15 selected contributions) the bases of experiences and two workshops for the participants and the public. 3 - 3-minute videos-testimonies realized and broadcasted upstream, during and downstream the Forum to feed a space of online "newspaper” ( Storify).
- 4 - An information paper distributed with the program.
- 5 - A publication following the Forum (subject to confirmation).
Modalities of submission
The communication suggestions for a 15-minute intervention have to be sent before the 10th of August of 2017 at 12:00 am (Paris time zone) in electronic form and in French, English or Spanish.
They contain the presentation of the issue and the datas (maximum 1 page), a brief bibliography and a biography of the author. They are drafted in French or in English. These summaries will be broadcasted during the forum preparation with the moderators. The suggestions will be anonymously examined by two members of the scientific committee.
They have to be sent without mention of the author(s) by e-mail as file attachment (format .doc or .pdf) to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please specify in the e-mail subject: Forum Grenoble 2017 ; and indicate in the e-mail body:
- The name of the author(s)
- The title of the communication
- Preference for an oral or a displayed communication
The unselected communications could be valued otherwise, with the prior approval of the authors.
● Deadline for sending the suggestions: August 10th, 2017 12:00 am (Paris time zone);
● Notification to the authors: August 25th, 2017;
● Date of the forum: September 29th, 2017 (Grenoble, France);
● Activities will be programmed on the 30th of September with urban circuits, living lab, brainstorming sessions, etc.
A few months before the coming into force of the compulsory Plans of mobility planned by the Transition Energetic Law, the national actors of transport, sustainable mobility, arts and culture (decision-makers, experts, researchers, contractors, professionals, users, international guests) are invited to gather for several meetings proposed by the partners of the Forum, including raising awareness and animation times for the general public and the youth.
The mobility is at the heart of the lifestyles and the city and territories organisation as it defines time and space. Yesterday, territories meant sedentary lifestyle. Today, the new territories mean mobilities, plural as the activities and the lifestyles they spread. The emergence of mobile companies creates new "discontinuities and relocations of the social facts" (J. Viard). The mobility also concerns the climatic and sanitary emergencies, in particular in the metropolises, as well as the management of the diversity issue. Companies accelerate their plans of mobilities by mutualizing their initiatives. They integrate it within their corporate social responsibility and build a stronger relation with the public authority, within the framework of territorial initiatives led to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and the anticipation of new lifestyles in an urban environment reinvented in its narrative.
The cultural and creative actors, ambassadors of the artistic mobility, are partners whose awareness should be raised and who should be associated so that the time of cultural practices and leisure activities could become a space of experiment and loyalty development for new forms of mobility and sharing towards a diversity of social groups. The collective transport and the new mobilities actors could also become strategic partners for cultural development policies and cultural operators, as alternative places of distribution and creation for the artists or key players facilitating the access to culture for everyone.
Our common adventure, our share capital, are mainly renewed by the cultural fact and the experience of the mobilities (from the local to the global). In that context, the interrelation between cultural issues and the ones of traveling and/or mobilities defines also a new register of the individual and collective capacities. To maximize the possibilities of this capital and the economy of a city or a territory, territories aspire more and more to create a human, fair, creative and reassuring public environment, where the dynamism and the vitality of the streets are synonymic of an inclusive living space, quality and attractiveness.
New disciplines are required: the arts of representation become essential to build a new base of collective values and characterize an intensity of the city post-carbon. Make collective transport an "experience" which overtakes traveler's status, offering new forms of sociality as well as a valuation of alternative cultural and patrimonial areas became a common practice all over the world. Promoting the rights for the city, the mobility, the diversity of the cultural expressions of the world and on a territory... the cultural rights are so many crossed issues that meet around the notions of "public space(s)", "living together" and "sustainable development". In line with the new urban agenda of the United Nations, the urban agenda for the European Union and the new challenges linked to the climate change, the creativity accompanies the innovation and the sustainable transformation of the lifestyles through a culture of access, the sharing, the responsibility and the diversity of experiences and ideas.